Senior Research Development Chemist – Antwerp
About the company
Are you passionate about driving positive change in the world of sustainable materials and innovation? This scale-up company is a dynamic and forward-thinking company dedicated to revolutionizing the textile industry. They are on a mission to redefine the future of fashion and manufacturing by creating eco-friendly alternatives to traditional materials.
As a part of this team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with brilliant minds, explore cutting-edge technologies, and contribute to a more sustainable future. They believe that innovation and sustainability go hand in hand, and they are looking for talented individuals who share this vision and can help them to make a difference.
If you’re excited about pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in sustainable materials and want to be a part of a team that’s at the forefront of change, a role at this start-up may be for you.
About the job
You will work closely with other R&D chemists and R&D engineers and your main tasks will include the following:
- Manufacture and optimize heterogenous catalysts for batch reactors;
- Establish catalysts structure-to-activity relationships to improve catalytic efficiency.
- Develop strategies for transferring chemical processes from lab scale to pilot taking into consideration safety and cost-related concerns.
- General understanding on scaling up catalyst’s preparation requirements.
- Design a laboratory-scale experiment to test the process, analyze the resulting data and determine the optimal reaction conditions;
- Ensure safety of the process by testing the process at various scales, making sure that safety protocols are followed;
- Monitor and adjust the process as needed to ensure process consistency, reliability and economic efficiency;
- Be proactive in the design, monitoring, and analysis of the generated data.
- Prepare technical reports and ensure appropriate communication of technical results in line with established channels and processes;
- Collaborate across various functions and teams.
An MS or PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 3+ years of professional experience in industrial chemistry is required, as well as a strong background in rational design of catalytic materials.
- Other desired expertise includes:
- Analytical and characterization techniques,
- Knowledge of batch reaction and flow reaction,
- Knowledge of catalysis, kinetics studies.
- The successful candidate has the following core competencies:
- Experience in catalysis, including laboratory scale development and scale-up;
- Demonstrated knowledge in catalyst design and synthesis;
- Experience in catalytic transformation of gases (CO/CO2/H2);
- Able to independently design and optimize scalable and economical processes;
- Able to perform kinetic studies of heterogenous catalyzed processes;
- Able to troubleshoot and maintain lab instruments.
- Additionally, the successful candidate will have the following skills:
- Strong analytical skills, problem-solver;
- Able to manage multiple projects, prioritize, and meet deadlines;
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- Autonomous, highly motivated and willing to learn;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Fluent in English, ability to speak French is a plus.
Compensation and perks
- Competitive compensation
- Employee benefits (health insurance, public transport allowance)
- Annual Team building events
- Key role in a dynamic start-up environment