Senior Chemical Engineer – Scale-up – Antwerp
About the company
Are you passionate about driving positive change in the world of sustainable materials and innovation? This scale-up company is a dynamic and forward-thinking company dedicated to revolutionizing the textile industry. They are on a mission to redefine the future of fashion and manufacturing by creating eco-friendly alternatives to traditional materials.
As a part of this team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with brilliant minds, explore cutting-edge technologies, and contribute to a more sustainable future. They believe that innovation and sustainability go hand in hand, and they are looking for talented individuals who share this vision and can help them to make a difference.
If you’re excited about pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in sustainable materials and want to be a part of a team that’s at the forefront of change, a role at this start-up may be for you.
About the job
A key role of Chemical Engineer is opening in the industrialization team. They will effectively translate the outcomes of catalytic chemistry research from the R&D team into plant manufacturing specifications and requirements at all relevant phases.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Comply with all site safety regulations and take an active role on developing a safety culture.
- Play a leading role in the scale-up of the new technology from the lab to the pilot and the plant scales.
- Provide design and engineering guidance for equipment and processes.
- Perform the required calculations and studies for the pilot and plant designs and sizings.
- Conduct the required studies related to chemical process safety, including but not limited to flammability limits, storage stability and reaction exothermicity.
- Carry out engineering-driven financial analysis and cost-benefit calculations.
- Verify and evaluate PFDs, P&IDs and equipment choices and sizings for plant construction.
- Coordinate with the R&D team to ensure alignment on technical needs and project execution for scaling up.
- Look for suitable suppliers for process equipment to build the plant within the deadlines.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge, remaining updated on the advantages and disadvantages of a broad range of process apparatus (reactors, distillation, gas separation, mixers…).
- Support the R&D team, providing chemical engineering expertise.
- Act as the interface between the R&D and production teams in all relevant phases.
- MSc or PhD in a technical field: chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemistry or equivalent
- 4+ years in an industrial environment / engineering company
- Strong knowledge of industrial environment and processes
- Expertise in process simulation would be appreciated
- Safety analysis skills (HAZOP, HAZID…)
- Ability to learn new topics with minimal guidance
- Highly motivated and a team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Fluency in English is required; French is a plus.
Compensation and perks
- Competitive compensation
- Employee benefits (health insurance, public transport allowance)
- Annual Team building events
- Key role in a dynamic start-up environment